Notice: Undefined index: google_analytics in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

Notice: Undefined index: google_verification in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

Notice: Undefined index: microsoft_validate in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

call us817-498-4105

Offices in Hurst and Galveston

Hurst Domestic Violence Lawyer

Denton County domestic abuse attorney for orders of protection

Tarrant County Orders of Protection Attorney in Cases Involving Domestic Abuse

Situations involving allegations or incidents of domestic violence can be difficult for everyone involved. Those who have been the victims of abuse often feel trapped in an impossible situation. While they may be experiencing physical or emotional abuse on an ongoing basis, they may fear that an abuser will cause even more serious harm to them or their children if they attempt to leave the relationship. Since domestic abuse often involves financial control, a person may be concerned that they will have no way to provide for their family's needs while they are on their own. Fortunately, there are a number of resources available for abuse victims, and by working with a family law attorney, they can leave a dangerous situation, receive protection against further acts of abuse, and address legal issues in family court, such as divorce, child custody, or child support.

Attorney Daniel R. Bacalis believes in protecting the rights of those who are involved in family law cases, including spouses or other family members who have been affected by domestic violence. He can provide representation for abuse victims to help them receive the protections they need and ensure that they will have the resources to provide a safe home for themselves and their children. He can also help those who have been falsely accused of committing domestic violence or engaging in abusive behavior determine how to respond to these allegations, protect their rights, and avoid problems that may affect their relationships with their children or other family members.

Domestic Violence and Orders of Protection

In cases where a person has committed acts of family violence against their spouse, unmarried partner, children, other people who live in their household, a person they are currently dating, or a former romantic partner, a victim may file a petition for an order of protection. This petition may be part of an ongoing family law case, or it may be filed separately. In their petition, the applicant may ask the court to put certain orders in place that will apply to the respondent who is accused of committing abuse, including:

  • A prohibition against any further acts of family violence or abuse.
  • A "no contact" order that will limit the respondent's ability to communicate with family members. The respondent may be prohibited from engaging in threats or harassment, or they may be restricted from communicating with people named in the order in any way, including through phone calls, text messages, emails, written messages, or messages passed through third parties.
  • A "stay away" order that will prohibit the respondent from going within a certain distance of the applicant or other people named in the order, including their home, their workplace, or children's schools or daycare centers. The respondent may also be prohibited from engaging in any behavior meant to harass, annoy, or embarrass their spouse, partner, or other family members.
  • An order granting exclusive possession of a couple's shared residence to the applicant. The respondent may be required to leave the home and find other living arrangements while the order is in effect. They may be allowed to enter the home to retrieve their belongings while accompanied by a police officer or another member of law enforcement.
  • Child support or spousal support orders requiring the respondent to provide the applicant with financial assistance that will allow the applicant to provide for the needs of themselves and/or their children.
  • The suspension of a concealed handgun license, the requirement to turn over any firearms the respondent owns, and a prohibition against owning or possessing firearms or ammunition.
  • The requirement to receive counseling from a psychologist or social worker or attend a domestic battery intervention and prevention program.

A temporary "ex parte" order may be issued in emergency situations, and a hearing will be held where a judge will listen to testimony and evidence from both parties and determine whether long-term protections are needed. If necessary, a permanent order of protection may be issued that will last for up to two years.

Contact Our Parker County Order of Protection Attorney

To get help with matters related to domestic violence and orders of protection, contact our firm by calling 817-498-4105. We provide free consultations to family law clients, and we can advise you of the steps you can take to protect against domestic abuse or address accusations of family violence. We serve clients in Tarrant County, Euless, Watauga, Parker County, Bedford, Grapevine, Denton County, Southlake, and Hurst.

Connect With Us

contact us

Please fill out the form below or call our office at 817-498-4105 to schedule a complimentary consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Phone *
Email *
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Elite Lawyer badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top