Notice: Undefined index: google_analytics in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

Notice: Undefined index: google_verification in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

Notice: Undefined index: microsoft_validate in /home/ocvaws/public_html/ on line 77

call us817-498-4105

Offices in Hurst and Galveston

Hurst Post Divorce Modification Attorney

Southlake divorce attorney for modification and enforcement of child custody and child support

Tarrant County Post Divorce Modification Lawyer Serving Texas

Getting through the divorce process can be difficult for everyone involved, including the spouses who are ending their marriage, their children, and other family members or people in their lives. After spending so much time, money, and effort completing the requirements to legally dissolve their marriage, adjusting to new living arrangements, and making changes to the ways they handle financial issues, ex-spouses will often be ready to put their divorce behind them and move on with their lives. However, there are some situations where ex-spouses may encounter legal issues that will need to be addressed. Changes in a family's circumstances may require modifications of divorce orders, or a person may need to respond to their ex-spouse's failure to meet their legal requirements. By working with a family law attorney, a person can determine how to address post-divorce issues correctly and resolve any issues that they encounter.

Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C. provides legal help to families during and after the divorce process, ensuring that they will be able to address any legal issues that arise. We work to help our clients resolve disputes related to the terms of their divorce, and we can also provide guidance on when modifications to court orders may be appropriate. We will assist with filing petitions in court to address these issues or responding to petitions filed by an ex-spouse, and we can provide representation during court hearings to ensure that our client's rights and interests will be protected.

Modifications of Custody and Support Orders

Texas law recognizes that as lives and circumstances change, court orders may need to be modified. If an ex-spouse experiences a significant change in circumstances, such as the loss of a job or a substantial increase in income, either party may seek a modification of court orders regarding support payments. For example, if a parent who pays child support is laid off, they may request that payments be paused temporarily until they can find a new job, or if a person experiences a disability that affects their income, they may ask for a permanent reduction in the amount of child support or spousal maintenance they will be required to pay. A person requesting a modification will need to provide evidence that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that has affected them or their ex-spouse. Until modifications are approved by the court, a person will be required to pay support as ordered, and they will need to make up any payments that are owed.

Child custody and visitation may also be modified if necessary. As with other types of post-divorce modifications, a person will need to show that they, their ex-spouse, or their children have experienced significant changes in their circumstances that require a modification. These changes may be appropriate in cases involving adjustments to children's or parents' schedules, situations where a parent plans to relocate with their children, or other circumstances that affect parents and children. When considering whether to grant a modification request, a family court judge will look at whether the requested changes will provide for the children's best interests.

Enforcement of Divorce and Child Custody Orders

If one party has not complied with their legal requirements in their divorce decree, the other party may ask the court to enforce its orders. In cases involving non-payment of child support, a parent may request that the court collect what is owed by setting up a payment plan or garnishing the other parent's wages. If a parent refuses to follow child custody orders, or if a person does not turn over marital property allocated to the other spouse in their divorce, a person can ask the court to enforce child custody or property orders. A person who refuses to comply with the court's orders may face a number of penalties, including being held in contempt of court.

Contact Our Bedford Post-Divorce Enforcement and Modification Lawyer

To learn about your options for requesting a modification of your divorce decree or enforcing custody, support, or property division orders, contact Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C. by calling 817-498-4105. We offer free consultations, and we provide legal help and representation to clients in Denton County, Hurst, Watauga, Parker County, Euless, Tarrant County, Grapevine, Southlake, and Bedford.

Connect With Us

contact us

Please fill out the form below or call our office at 817-498-4105 to schedule a complimentary consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Phone *
Email *
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Elite Lawyer badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top