call us817-498-4105

Offices in Hurst and Galveston

Hurst Sole or Joint Custody Attorney

Watauga family law attorney for sole or joint custody

Tarrant County Child Custody Lawyer Helping Parents Address Conservatorship and Visitation

Parents may need to address child custody issues in multiple different situations. While this will be a concern for parents who are ending their marriage through divorce, couples who are unmarried may also need to resolve custody issues following a breakup or a situation where the parents do not have an established relationship. While parents will often be able to share joint custody, there are some cases where sole custody may be appropriate. As parents work to address how they will make decisions for their children, the amount of time that children will spend with each parent, and other issues related to parent/child relationships, they can protect their rights by working with a lawyer who has experience handling family law matters.

At Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C., we provide representation in child custody cases, helping parents determine the best steps they can take to protect their rights and the best interests of their children. We make sure our clients understand the laws that apply in their cases, their options for resolving disputes, and the best ways they can ensure that they will be able to maintain close relationships with their children and provide for their families' ongoing needs. Whether you expect to share custody of your children or believe that you should have sole custody, we can help you find solutions that will ensure that you and your family will be able to move forward successfully after the conclusion of your case.

Understanding Sole or Joint Conservatorship in Texas

Legal custody of children, which involves the right to make decisions about important issues such as healthcare and education, is known as conservatorship in Texas. Parents are encouraged to share in the rights and responsibilities of raising their children, and in most divorce and family law cases, parents will be joint managing conservators. In these cases, parents will have an equal say in decisions about child-related issues, and they will be required to work together to determine how various issues will be handled. These arrangements can help ensure that both parents will remain involved in their children's lives, stay up to date on the various concerns that affect their children, and participate in important decisions as they make sure their children's ongoing needs will be met.

In some cases, such as when one parent has been less involved in making decisions about child-related issues, sole managing conservatorship may be appropriate. This will give one parent the right to address child-related issues without the requirement to consult with the other parent. However, even if one parent will be the sole conservator, the other parent will typically have possessory conservatorship, and they will be able to have regular, ongoing contact with the child. A visitation schedule will be created detailing when children will spend time with the possessory conservator. While a sole managing conservator may have the exclusive right to decide where children will live in their primary residence, a parent may be required to reside in a specific geographical area so that the other parent will be able to maintain an ongoing relationship with the children.

There are some cases where a sole managing conservator may also have sole physical custody of children. These arrangements may be used if a parent has a history of domestic violence or when a parent has not made the effort to maintain an ongoing relationship with their children. However, even if a parent is not named a possessory conservator, arrangements may be made to allow them to have visitation time while being subject to certain restrictions, such as requiring supervision while they spend time with the children.

Contact Our Grapevine Child Custody Lawyer

Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C. can help address issues related to the custody of children. We can help negotiate parenting agreements that will allow you to share custody of your children with the other parent. If necessary, we can advocate for you to have sole custody. We can also ensure that child support orders will be established requiring both parents to contribute to children's financial needs. To schedule a complimentary consultation, contact us today at 817-498-4105. We help families address child custody matters in Euless, Parker County, Grapevine, Hurst, Southlake, Denton County, Bedford, Watauga, and Tarrant County.

Connect With Us

contact us

Please fill out the form below or call our office at 817-498-4105 to schedule a complimentary consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Phone *
Email *
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Elite Lawyer badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top