What To Do When Paternity Is In Dispute

In 2011, Texas enacted a law (SB785) that enables a man to contest the paternity of a child and stop paying child support.

It may be possible to obtain a court ruling that reverses your standing as the legal father of a child if:

  • You were married when your child was born, or
  • You signed an Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP), or
  • You failed to contest paternity because of a mistaken belief that you were actually the father

At my firm, Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C., I represent men who wish to contest paternity or reverse an acknowledgement of paternity. If you believe that you are not the father of a child, you should act quickly to obtain relief.

Statute of Limitations for Filing a Petition

The new law contains a provision limiting the period in which a man can file a petition to contest paternity:

  • Before September 1, 2012, a man can file a petition to contest paternity for a child, with no statute of limitation.
  • After September 1, 2012, a man wishing to contest paternity must file a petition no later than one year from the date on which he obtains information indicating that he is not the father.

In order to obtain relief under the new law, you must have signed an AOP or failed to contest paternity because of a belief that you were actually the father based on misrepresentations made to you.

What My Firm Can Do For You

Because this law was so recently enacted, many of its aspects have not been resolved through case law. Your rights to relief under SB785 can only be determined through a thorough analysis of the facts of your situation.

In a free initial consultation, I can review your case and explain your options. If you retain my firm, you can be assured that I will seek to achieve a positive resolution as quickly and efficiently as possible. This will include a termination of your child support obligations, though it will not be possible to obtain a refund of child support paid before the date of the order declaring you not to be the legal father of the child.

Reach Out To An Experienced Attorney For Free

With offices in Fort Worth and Galveston, Texas, Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C., serves clients throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Contact my firm for a free initial consultation about a paternity or child support matter. Please call 817-576-1023.